About Polkadot (DOT)
Polkadot (DOT) is a proof of stake blockchain network which allows different blockchains to perform data transfers and transactions at scale without a trusted third party. Created by Ethereum Co-founder Gavin Wood in 2016, the protocol has a multichain network consisting of a relay chain that acts as the governance layer of the protocol for security and cross-chain interoperability.
Using Polkadot (DOT) price information
Polkadot's price information can help investors with effective portfolio management, supporting market analysis, ensuring transparency and facilitating comparative evaluations.
Frequently asked questions
How is the price of Polkadot determined?
Due to its global trading nature, the price of Polkadot can experience variations influenced by factors such as service fees, order books, and trading volume. As Polkadot has a floating exchange rate, its price is determined by vendors and subject to the principle of supply and demand.
Can Polkadot be mined, or is there a staking mechanism for validators?
Polkadot cannot be mined like other cryptocurrencies. It operates on a proof-of-stake (PoS) consensus mechanism, which requires you to hold a specific amount of DOT and stake it to earn coins on the blockchain. It’s similar to term deposits for cash, where you lock up your DOT and receive rewards in return.
Where can Polkadot be bought?
Polkadot can be bought at BTC Markets, the trusted Australian cryptocurrency exchange with 24/7 trading, competitive fees, strong security and instant AUD deposits/withdrawals.
What is the market cap of Polkadot?
Polkadot is currently ranked #15 in terms of market capitalisation, with a market cap of $10,012,506.68 AUD. The 24-hour trading volume for Polkadot is $282,261,027.35 AUD.
What makes Polkadot valuable?
Polkadot is a valuable cryptocurrency since:
- It enhances scalability by enabling multiple blockchains to interoperate and share information.
- It differentiates itself by utilising a unique relay chain that improves transaction speeds and overall network efficiency.
- Its interoperability allows for seamless communication and data transfer between different blockchains, fostering innovation and collaboration.
- Its governance model empowers stakeholders to participate in decision-making, ensuring a democratic and inclusive network.
- It creates a scalable and interconnected blockchain ecosystem, enabling a wide range of decentralised applications.
Find out the latest Polkadot news